P0734 - Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
P0734 Possible Causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit
How do I fix code P0734?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
Cost of diagnosing the P0734 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0734 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected?P0734 is detected when A/T cannot be shifted to the 4th gear position even if electrical circuit is good.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Incorrect transmission shifting
P0734 DescriptionThis diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:
Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B
A: Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM)
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes
If the actual gear position is higher than the position (4th) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0734 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0734 ACURA Problem In 4th Clutch And 4th Clutch Hydraulic Circuit
- P0734 AUDI Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 BMW Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
- P0734 CHRYSLER Gear Ratio Error In Fourth Gear
- P0734 DODGE Gear Ratio Error In Fourth Gear
- P0734 FORD Incorrect Fourth Gear Ratio
- P0734 HONDA Problem In 4th Clutch And 4th Clutch Hydraulic Circuit
- P0734 HYUNDAI Fourth Gear Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 INFINITI 4th. Gear Malfunction
- P0734 JEEP Gear Ratio Error In Fourth Gear
- P0734 KIA Fourth Gear Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 LAND-ROVER Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 LEXUS Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 MAZDA Fourth Gear Error
- P0734 MERCEDES-BENZ Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
- P0734 MINI Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
- P0734 MITSUBISHI Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 NISSAN 4th. Gear Malfunction
- P0734 SATURN Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 SUBARU Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 SUZUKI Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 TOYOTA Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
- P0734 VOLKSWAGEN Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
Need more help?Get the P0734 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above helps you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0734 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks