P1172 - Rear A/F Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Out Of Range High
P1172 Possible Causes
- Faulty Air/Fuel Ratio Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Air/Fuel Ratio Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air/Fuel Ratio Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P1172?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P1172 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P1172 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P1172 DescriptionThe Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) sensor 1 is installed in the exhaust system and detects oxygen content in the exhaust gas. The A/F sensor transmits output voltage to the Engine Control Module (ECM). A heater for the sensor element is embedded in the A/F sensor (sensor 1). It is activated and heats the sensor to stabilize and speed the detection of oxygen content by controlling current flowing through the heater. An increase in the current levels off as the applied voltage to the element electrode reaches a certain range because the amount of oxygen which is led through the diffusion layer is limited. The current amperage is proportional to oxygen content in the exhaust gas, so the air/fuel ratio is detected by the measurement of the current amperage. The ECM compares a set target air/fuel ratio with the detected air/fuel ratio and controls the fuel injection timing.
If the A/F sensor (sensor 1) voltage is low, the air/fuel ratio is lean, and the ECM uses A/F feedback control to issue a Rich command. If the A/F sensor (sensor 1) voltage is high, the air/fuel ratio is rich, and the ECM uses A/F feedback control to issue a Lean command.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P1172 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P1172 ACURA Rear A/F Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Out Of Range High
- P1172 AUDI Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal 2 Signal Too Low
- P1172 BMW Ambient Pressure Sensor Rationality Check
- P1172 CHEVROLET Fuel Pump Insufficient Flow
- P1172 FORD Rotor Control Fault
- P1172 GMC Fuel Pump Insufficient Flow
- P1172 HONDA Rear A/F Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Out Of Range High
- P1172 HYUNDAI Electronic Throttle System Improper Motor Current
- P1172 LAND-ROVER LH Bank Lambda Control Adaption Over Time Too Small
- P1172 MINI Ambient Pressure Sensor Rationality Check
- P1172 SUZUKI Lambda Controller Limit Malfunction Bank 1 Too Lean
- P1172 VOLKSWAGEN Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Signal 2 Signal Too Low
Need more help?Get the P1172 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P1172 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks