C0161 - ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
C0161 Possible Causes
- Faulty ABS/TCS Brake Switch (Stop Lamp Switch)
- ABS/TCS Brake Switch harness is open or shorted
- ABS/TCS Brake Switch circuit poor electrical connection
First diagnose C0161 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the C0161 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the C0161 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
C0161 Possible Symptoms
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light ON
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
C0161 DescriptionThe Stop lamp Switch is a normally open switch, when the brake pedal is depressed the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) will sense battery voltage. This allows the EBCM to determine the state of the brake lamps.
C0161 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the C0161 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
C0161 Information for specific makes
- C0161 BUICK ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
- C0161 CADILLAC ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
- C0161 CHEVROLET ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
- C0161 GMC ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
- C0161 PONTIAC ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
- C0161 SATURN ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction
Need more help?Get the C0161 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
C0161 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the C0161 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks