B0081 GMC - Passenger Presence System
B0081 GMC Possible Causes
- Faulty Passenger Presence System (PPS)
- Passenger Presence System (PPS) harness is open or shorted
- Passenger Presence System (PPS) circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
How do I fix code B0081 GMC?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
DTC B0081 3A Passenger Presence System Incorrect Component Installed
DTC B0081 4B Passenger Presence System Calibration Not Learned
DTC B0081 5A Passenger Presence System Plausibility Failure
DTC B0081 39 Passenger Presence System Internal Electronic Failure
DTC B0081 71 Passenger Presence System Invalid Serial Data Received
Cost of diagnosing the B0081 GMC code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the B0081 GMC code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B0081 GMC DescriptionWhen the ignition is turned ON, the Passenger Presence System (PPS) and the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. When the SDM has completed the power-up mode, the SDM will establish communication with the PPS. The PPS will respond by commanding both of the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators ON for 5 seconds. The SDM will then transmit a request message to the PPS to receive the PPS verification ID. The PPS will transmit the verification ID to the SDM, and the SDM will compare the ID received to data stored in memory. If the data stored in memory does not match the information transmitted by the PPS or the SDM has detects that the PPS has set a current Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), the SDM will then disable the Instrument Panel (I/P) module deployment loop, set DTC B0081, and command the AIR BAG indicator ON.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the B0081 GMC code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.
Need more help?Get the B0081 Gmc code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above helps you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the B0081 Gmc code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks