U0181 - Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
U0181 Possible Causes
- Faulty Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- Headlamp Leveling Control Module harness is open or shorted
- Headlamp Leveling Control Module circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code U0181Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the U0181 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the U0181 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
U0181 DescriptionA Controller Area Network (CAN) is a vehicle bus standard designed to interconnect automotive devices without a host computer. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the devices. The devices have programmed information about what messages are needed to be exchanged on the serial data circuits. CAN bus uses two dedicated wires for communication. The wires are called CAN high and CAN low. When the CAN bus is in idle mode, both lines carry 2.5V. When data bits are being transmitted, the CAN high line goes to 3.75V, and the CAN low drops to 1.25V, thereby generating a 2.5V differential between the lines. Since communication relies on a voltage differential between the two bus lines, the CAN bus is NOT sensitive to inductive spikes, electrical fields, or other noise. The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) sets when a periodic message from the Headlamp Leveling Control Module has not been received.
U0181 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the U0181 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- U0181 BUICK Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- U0181 CADILLAC Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- U0181 CHEVROLET Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- U0181 GMC Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- U0181 PONTIAC Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
- U0181 SATURN Lost Communication With Headlamp Leveling Control Module
Need more help?Get the U0181 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the U0181 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks