P0785 - Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
P0785 Possible Causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shifting solenoid valve
- Shifting solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Shifting solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P0785?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
Cost of diagnosing the P0785 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0785 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission may not shift to the next gear
P0785 DescriptionThe 3-2 Shift Solenoid (SS) valve assembly is a normally-closed, 3-port, on/off device that controls the 3-2 downshift. The solenoid attaches to the control valve body within the transmission. The solenoid receives ignition voltage through circuit 239. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls the solenoid by providing a ground path. During a 3-2 downshift, the 2-4 band applies as the 3-4 clutch releases. The PCM varies the timing between the 3-4 clutch release and the 2-4 band apply depending on the vehicle speed and the throttle position.
When the PCM detects a continuous open, short to ground or short to power in the 3-2 SS valve assembly circuit, then DTC P0785 sets.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0785 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0785 AUDI Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
- P0785 BUICK 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 CADILLAC 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 CHEVROLET 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 GMC 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 ISUZU 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 MERCEDES-BENZ Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
- P0785 PONTIAC 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 SATURN 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
- P0785 SUBARU Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
- P0785 VOLKSWAGEN Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction
Need more help?Get the P0785 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above helps you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0785 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks