P0781 - 1-2 Shift Malfunction
P0781 Possible Causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shifting solenoid valve
- Shifting solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Shifting solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P0781?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0781 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0781 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected?The P0781 code is detected when actual gear position and the commanded gear position are different
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission may not shift to the next gear.
P0781 DescriptionThis P0781 code indicates that the 1-2 shift valve in the valve body is locked in the direction of the spring compression. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) controls the gearshifts by turning the shift solenoid valves ON/OFF and switching oil pressure to the valves in the valve body. The TCM calculates the actual transmission gear by comparing the signals from the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0781 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0781 AUDI 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 CHRYSLER 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 DODGE 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 FORD 1-2 Shift Error
- P0781 JEEP 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 LEXUS 1-2 Shift Valve
- P0781 MAZDA 1-2 Shift Valve Malfunction
- P0781 MERCEDES-BENZ 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 SUZUKI 1-2 Shift Malfunction
- P0781 TOYOTA 1-2 Shift Valve
- P0781 VOLKSWAGEN 1-2 Shift Malfunction
Need more help?Get the P0781 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0781 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks