P0496 - Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow
P0496 Possible Causes
- Faulty EVAP Canister Vent Valve
- Faulty EVAP Canister Purge valve
- Plugged EVAP canister condition
- Faulty EVAP Pressure Sensor
- EVAP Canister Vent Valve harness is open or shorted
- EVAP Canister Vent Valve circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P0496?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0496 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0496 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected?The ECM has detected pressure in the EVAP system during a non-purge condition.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine misfire
- Engine hard start
P0496 DescriptionThe evaporative emission (EVAP) control system limits fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel tank vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the vapor pipe, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the canister absorbs and stores the fuel vapors. Excess pressure is vented through the vent line and EVAP vent solenoid to the atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores the fuel vapors until the engine is able to use them. At an appropriate time, the PCM will command the EVAP purge valve open, allowing engine vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister. With the EVAP vent valve open, fresh air will be drawn through the valve and vent line to the EVAP canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge pipe and EVAP purge valve into the intake manifold to be consumed during normal combustion. The EVAP system requires the PCM be able to detect a leak as small as 0.040 inch in the EVAP system. The PCM uses several tests to determine if the EVAP system is leaking.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0496 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0496 ACURA Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow
- P0496 BUICK Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
- P0496 CADILLAC Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
- P0496 CHEVROLET Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
- P0496 GMC Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
- P0496 HONDA Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow
- P0496 HYUNDAI Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow
- P0496 KIA Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow
- P0496 PONTIAC Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
- P0496 SATURN Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge
Need more help?Get the P0496 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0496 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks