P0442 2008 NISSAN SENTRA - EVAP Control System Leak Detected Small Leak
- Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
Tech notesThe fuel tank filler cap and the Purge Volume Control Valve are the more common problems that will trigger the P0442 code on Nissan vehicles.
There are factory service bulletin for the P0442 code:
All Nissan Models:
Nissan Factory Service Bulletin OBDII Code P0442
When is the code detected?Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a leak, EVAP control system does not operate properly.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0442 2008 Nissan Sentra DescriptionThe Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.
Need more help?Get the P0442 2008 Nissan Sentra code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
P0442 2008 NISSAN SENTRA CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0442 2008 Nissan Sentra code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks