P0420 1997 HONDA CIVIC - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1
- Bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensor (Secondary HO2S)
- Exhaust tube
- Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
- Spark plugs may be faulty
- Improper ignition timing
- Engine Control Module (ECM)
When is the code detected?
- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 does not have enough oxygen storage capacity.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0420 1997 HONDA CIVIC Description
A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.
When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.
Need more help?
P0420 1997 HONDA CIVIC CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0420 1997 Honda Civic code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks