P0402 MERCURY - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected
- EGR volume control valve stuck open
- Faulty EGR volume control valve
- EGR solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- EGR solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit
2000-2002 Mercury Sable
2001-2002 Mercury Cougar
2001-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis
2002-2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Mercury Factory Service Bulletin OBDII Code P0402 Code
When is the code detected?
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible engine hesitation
P0402 MERCURY Description
The EGR system on recently built vehicles uses a step motor to control the flow rate of EGR from exhaust manifold. This motor has four winding phases. It operates according to the output pulse signal of the ECΜ. Two windings are turned ON and OFF in sequence. Each time an ON pulse is issued, the valve opens or closes, changing the flow rate. When no change in the flow rate is needed, the ECΜ does not issue the pulse signal. Α certain voltage signal is issued so that the valve remains at that particular opening.
Need more help?
P0402 MERCURY CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0402 Mercury code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks