P0008 - Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
P0008 Possible Causes
- Engine mechanical problems
- Incorrect timing chain
- Stretched timing chain
- Failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid
How do I fix code P0008?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
Cost of diagnosing the P0008 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0008 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0008 DescriptionThe Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the position of both camshafts and the crankshaft. The ECM performs a test for misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. During the test the ECM learns the position of the camshafts and the crankshaft. While the engine is idling, the ECM compares the position of both the camshafts and the crankshaft with the learned value. The ECM will set the P0008 code if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0008 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0008 BUICK Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 CADILLAC Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 CHEVROLET Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 GMC Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 PONTIAC Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 SATURN Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
- P0008 SUZUKI Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1
Need more help?Get the P0008 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0008 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks