C1148 - Speed Wheel Sensor RF Coherency Fault
C1148 Possible Causes
- ABS RF Wheel Speed Sensor / Wiring intermittently open/shorted
- Tone wheel cracked/slipping on hub/axle/CV shaft
- Faulty / intermittent connection at the Anti-Lock Brake Control Module (ABCM or EBCM)
- Faulty Anti-Lock Brake Control Module
First diagnose C1148 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
C1148 Tech NotesThis is typically an electrical wiring connection issue being monitored by the manufacturer.
It can occur if:
- The right front hub bearing/brake rotor is bad.
- Can also be set if scan tool software is not updated.
Cost of diagnosing the C1148 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the C1148 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the C1148 code detected?If the output from right front wheel speed sensor at any time doesn’t match the other speed sensors once vehicle speed reaches a predetermined amount (5-15 MPH), code C1148 is set in memory.
C1148 Possible Symptoms
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light ON
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
C1148 DescriptionWhen the driver stops too fast, and one or more wheels begin to lock up, the ABS system takes over. It sees the wheel or wheels slowing down too rapidly by way of wheel speed sensors. When this happens, it shuts off brake fluid to the wheel with the inlet valve/coil, and releases the pressure with an outlet valve/coil. The Wheel Speed Sensor RF is typically found on vehicles with 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes. The ABS system checks to be sure that the sensor electrical circuit is ok every time the key is turned on and the ABS module is powered up. It checks it again once vehicle speed reaches a preset speed (usually 5-15 mph).If there is a problem with the sensor or if the signal from the sensor is erratic, the ABS module will communicate over a data bus to the instrument cluster to turn on the amber Anti-Lock Light and the Red Brake Warning Light, and ABS will be disabled. In this case, the module has checked the right front wheel speed sensor/wiring and found the circuit has an electrical problem. This sets a C1148 in memory.
C1148 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the C1148 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
C1148 Information for specific makes
- C1148 FORD Speed Wheel Sensor RF Coherency Fault
- C1148 INFINITI Switch-Over Solenoid Valve Line USV
- C1148 LINCOLN Speed Wheel Sensor RF Coherency Fault
- C1148 MAZDA Right Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor/Sensor Rotor
- C1148 MERCURY Speed Wheel Sensor RF Coherency Fault
- C1148 NISSAN Switch-Over Solenoid Valve Line USV
Need more help?Get the C1148 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
C1148 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the C1148 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks