B1317 Possible Causes
- Battery defective
- Loose or missing alternator drive belt
- Faulty Alternator
- Alternator harness is open or shorted
- Alternator circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
First diagnose B1317 code
Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.
B1317 Tech NotesAccording to the 1996 Ford Explorer factory service manual, the B1317 and B1318 codes depend on which module the code was generated.
Four-Wheel Antilock Brake (4WABS) Control Module: Antilock Brake System Problem
Generic Electronic Module (GEM): Battery Voltage High
Automatic Ride Control (ARC) Module: Suspension Control (Automatic - Electronic Level)
Generic Electronic Module (GEM): Battery Voltage Low
Cost of diagnosing the B1317 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the B1317 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
B1317 Possible Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
B1317 DescriptionWith the engine running, the charging system supplies voltage to the battery and the vehicle electrical system through the battery B+ cable. The voltage that is supplied to the vehicle electrical system is used for the operation of the various vehicle systems and modules. Many modules monitor this voltage and if it rises above or below their calibrated setpoints, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) sets.
B1317 More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the B1317 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
B1317 Information for specific makes
- B1317 BUICK Inside Air Temperature Sensor
- B1317 CADILLAC Inside Air Temperature Sensor
- B1317 CHEVROLET Inside Air Temperature Sensor
- B1317 FORD Battery Voltage High
- B1317 GMC Inside Air Temperature Sensor
- B1317 LINCOLN Battery Voltage High
- B1317 MERCURY Battery Voltage High
- B1317 PONTIAC Inside Air Temperature Sensor
- B1317 SATURN Inside Air Temperature Sensor
Need more help?Get the B1317 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
B1317 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the B1317 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks