B1214 - Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Control
- Faulty Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner
- Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner harness is open or shorted
- Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Restraints Control Module (RCM)
Tech notesB1214:11 Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Control Circuit Short to Ground
B1214:12 Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Control Circuit Short to Battery
B1214:13 Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Control Circuit Open
B1214:1A Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Control Circuit Resistance Below Threshold
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B1214 DescriptionThe Restraints Control Module (RCM) analyzes the deployment loop resistance to determine if a fault exists. The value displayed in the PID is the deployment loop resistance measured by the RCM. If the value displayed is lower or higher than the desired range, the RCM can set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). As the deployment loop resistance drifts farther outside the desired range, the chance for a DTC increases. Small variations in resistance can occur due to the effect of road vibrations on terminal fit. Crimps and terminals can be affected by stress and harness movement and can cause an increase in resistance due to wire strain. These variables can result in an intermittent fault. For this reason, the test requires the PID value to be within the desired range before the fault is considered repaired, regardless if the module is reporting an on-demand DTC at the time of diagnosis. Following this direction helps make sure that minor changes in resistance do not create a repeat concern. The RCM sets the OBDII code when the Passenger Seatbelt Retractor Pretensioner is not to factory specifications.
B1214 Information for specific makes
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.
Need more help?Get the B1214 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
B1214 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the B1214 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks