B0074 - Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- Faulty Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
Tech notesDTC B0074 03 Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
DTC B0074 07 Passenger Occupant Classification Circuit Voltage Above Threshold
DTC B0074 08 Passenger Occupant Classification Circuit Signal Invalid
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B0074 DescriptionThe Passenger Presence System (PPS) uses a silicone filled sensor pad located underneath the passenger seat foam cushion and is connected by a hose clamp to a pressure sensor. The weight of the occupant sitting in the front passenger seat is measured as a pressure change within the bladder by the pressure sensor. The pressure sensor is a 3-wire sensor consisting of a power, ground, and signal circuit. The PPS continually monitors itself and if a fault in this circuit occurs, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set. When the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) detects this DTC within the PPS, it will notify the customer of the enable/disable status by turning ON the OFF indicator on the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators. Then the PPS will communicate to the SDM through serial data communications that a PPS fault is present. The SDM will then suppress the deployment of the Instrument Panel (I/P) module and then turn the AIR BAG indicator ON.
B0074 Information for specific makes
- B0074 BUICK Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 CADILLAC Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 CHEVROLET Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 GMC Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 HUMMER Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 PONTIAC Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
- B0074 SATURN Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.
Need more help?Get the B0074 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
B0074 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the B0074 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks