B0017 - Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- Faulty Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel
- Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel harness is open or shorted
- Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
- Air Bag Warning Light ON
B0017 DescriptionThe Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel (I/P) module deployment loop consists of a dual stage I/P module, I/P module high control, and I/P module low control circuits for both stages 1 and 2. There are 2 shorting bars used within the I/P module connector which will short together the I/P module high and I/P module low control circuits for both stages 1 and 2 when the connector is disconnected. This will help to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored in memory.
B0017 Information for specific makes
- B0017 BUICK Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- B0017 CADILLAC Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- B0017 CHEVROLET Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- B0017 GMC Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- B0017 PONTIAC Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
- B0017 SATURN Passenger Frontal Deployment Loop Open
Precautions for SRS “AIR BAG” and “SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER” Service
- Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, side air curtain modules or seat belts.
- Never disassemble or tamper with safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Do not use electrical test equipment to check SRS circuits unless instructed to in this Service Manual.
- Before servicing the SRS, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. For approximately 3 minutes after the cables are removed, it is still possible for the air bag and seat belt pre-tensioner to deploy. Therefore, do not work on any SRS connectors or wires until at least 3 minutes have passed.
Need more help?Get the B0017 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
B0017 CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the B0017 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks