P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
P0170 Possible Causes
- Intake air leaks
- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection
How do I fix code P0170?Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.
How much do you know about cars?
Take the AutoCodes.com automotive tests and turbo-charge your car repair knowledge
User Submitted Video
Cost of diagnosing the P0170 code
Labor: 1.0The cost of diagnosing the P0170 code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected?Fuel injection system does not operate properly or the amount of mixture ratio compensation is not correct
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Excessive Fuel Consumption
P0170 DescriptionWith the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.
In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the ECM judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).
More InformationNeed more information on how to fix the P0170 code?
Get Access to Factory Service Manuals
Information for specific makes
- P0170 AUDI Fuel Trim Bank 1
- P0170 BMW Fuel Trim Bank 1 ▶
- P0170 CHRYSLER Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 DODGE Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 HYUNDAI Fuel Trim Bank 1 ▶
- P0170 INFINITI Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 JEEP Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 KIA Fuel Trim Bank 1 Too Rich Or Lean
- P0170 LEXUS Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 MAZDA Bank 1 Adaptive Fuel Table At Calibrated Limit
- P0170 MERCEDES-BENZ Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 MITSUBISHI Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 NISSAN Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 TOYOTA Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank 1
- P0170 VOLKSWAGEN Fuel Trim Bank 1
Need more help?Get the P0170 code diagnosed by a professional: Find a repair shop in your area
CommentsHelp us improve AutoCodes.com. Leave a comment below or tell us if the information above help you fix the code. What are the symptoms on your vehicle for the P0170 code? Have you replaced any parts?
Any information is appreciated. Thanks