Intake Air Temperature
The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is built into mass air flow sensor or in some vehicles mounted to the air filter duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise.
The Intake Air Temperature signal is used as an input for various systems in the vehicle.
Related OBDII Components
- Camshaft Position Sensor
- Catalytic Converter
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
- Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
- Knock Sensor (KS)
- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
- Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
- Oxygen Sensor (O2S) - Air/Fuel (A/F) Sensor
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- Vehicle Speed Sensors (VSS)