P0456 Jeep - EVAP System Small Leak
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
The Evaporative emissions system is design to prevent the escape of fuel vapors from the fuel system. Leaks in the system, ca allow vapors to escape into the atmosphere. The leak detection system tests for EVAP system leaks and blockage.
During the self-diagnostics, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) first checks the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) for electrical and mechanical faults. If the first checks pass, the PCM then uses the LDP to seal the vent valve and pump air into the system to pressurize it. If a leak is present, the PCM will continue pumping the LDP to replace the air that leaks out. The PCM determines the size of the leak based on how fast/long it must pump the LDP as it tries to maintain pressure in the system.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks