P0442 BUICK - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected Small Leak
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking
- Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
- Large and small leaks
- Excess vacuum
- Purge flow during non-commanded conditions
- Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults
- EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults
The PCM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The PCM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The PCM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.
I think i got this code in error. Just replaced pc valve, and will be changing fuel filter next week...
while driving car mada a noise similar to what a bottle of soda sounds like if you shake it up & ope...
I get "gas cap loose" message when gas gauge gets down to approximately 7/8 full. Then, until it is ...
EVAP system problems checking engine light is on wont pass emissions test...
Any information is appreciated. Thanks