P0480 CHEVROLET - Cooling Fan Relay Control Circuit
- Fan control relay harness is open or shorted
- Fan control relay circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty cooling fan 1
- Fan cooling fan harness is open or shorted
- Fan cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection
- Engine overheating
The electric cooling fan is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components:
- The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
- The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
- The A/C selector switch
- The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor
- The vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
The PCM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:
- The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
- The A/C clutch requested.
- The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH.
The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met:
- The engine coolant temperature is 151°C (304°F) or more.
- The A/C refrigerant pressure is high.
The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan run-on conditions described in the electric cooling fan general description portion of the service manual.
The check engine light will come on and go off on its own also...
Changed the fans then the relays fans come on but check engine light is still on...
2002 chev cavalier .. bought with bad head gasket replaced head gasket valve job, new water pump the...
I put a altenater on my Chevy colbolt 2005 now check engine light is on & the battery light is on. I...
Any information is appreciated. Thanks